Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hello!
Day two and as promised, I am here.
Went to Sam's Club today to get some of the thing I'd need for Saturday night. Not surprisingly, didn't find like half of what I needed, but only $11.98 for 2 pounds of 31-41 size shrimp and $7.36 for a liter of tequila = can't be beat. Getting the rest tomorrow at Hy-Vee on my breakie.

Tonight was awesome! I had a nice, chill night with my best friend and her bf (also, now a bestie). Went to the Vaudeville Mews for a show - one of my buddies from high school plays bass for the Jamie McLean Band, the lead vocal/guitar is an original member of The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (played with Dave Matthews on his stellar solo debut album Some Devil.) They were pretty awesome. It was really good to catch up with Ben.
Then it was off to The Royal Mile (right next door) and I had some amazing Porters (Fuller's London Porter and Young's Double Chocolate... um, YUMMY).
We had heard really good things about an Italian Beef Sandwich place right down the street, so we had to stop there.
IT. WAS. SO. GOOD.
I got a mild sandwich, which was still had a nice sweet/sour kick. The meat was tender and extremely flavorful. The hoagie was drenched in essential au jus, and the veggie mix on top was killer.
The thing I love about this place (almost as much as the food) is that it is literally a whole in the wall. If you didn't know there was an amazing eatery there, you'd walk right past. The "kitchen" area is no larger than a bathroom sink, but what they lack in space, they more than make up for in flavor (not to mention cheerful, inviting service).
They serve one thing: beef. (check that... you can get a combo with sausage for a buck more). Also, soda, chips, or water are there for $1. All I needed was the sandwich! The perfect after-bar punctuation. And FYI I hear the Hot Pepper version is even better, if you don't mind the slow burn of hot marinated peppers and their possible next day side-effects. I'll say this much, next time I'm going for it!

I'm liking this blogging thing so far! Stay tuned... tomorrow: Avocado Ice Cream!!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH! Just came back to let you know I have pasted a reply on your comment on http://thingswemake.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/seedy-loaf/ and you have another post already! Well done!
I could eat that sandwich now. That answers my question about where you are based then. All the best. Claire

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Stay tuned... READ THE BLOG!
 

Copyright 2010 The Underachiever's Kitchen.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.